The Gray Rainbow

The sky is black, the stars are white; the clouds are shades of gray.
I look upon the rainbow now and see its color display.
Black and white are all around, these are the colors I see.
As the ninja, and as the angel: both are akin to me.
“Display your colors,” I hear friends say, “and let your beauty show!”
So out I tread, into the world, with all the color I know.

As the ninja and as the rainbow, I am a deep dark black.
I hide in shadows and sneak about, and creep up behind your back.
“The boy in the shadows,” I hear them say, “why is he so dark?”
I look at the sky and rainbow, and wonder what they are.
My friends sought color, but is black not what they desired?
But I am not deterred; instead I am inspired.

As the angel and as the rainbow, I am shining white.
I fly forth, brilliant, and give to all my light.
“Now he's plain,” I hear them say, “why does he not shine?”
“What do you mean,” I ask my friends, “what's wrong with this light of mine?”
I look at the stars and rainbow, and see their color bright.
My friends sought color, and even more, I gave them also light.
The black and white is all I see, but my friends mock me so.
The sky, the stars, they do not care, nor the bright rainbow.

As the clouds I am now gray, for I have no color left.
My friends hate black, my friends hate white, so of color I am bereft.
They say I have no color; they say I have no hue.
They say the rainbow isn't black, but how can this be true?
I see the sky, I see the stars, I see their color bright.
I see the black, I see the gray, and I see the white.
“We want orange and we want red, we want yellow too.”
“We want purple, we want green, and we want bright blue.”
They speak strange words that I don't know, words that make no sense.
They ask for colors I've not seen, and the pressure makes me tense.

And so I sit upon my cloud, matching its gray hue.
I sit and wail in my sadness; I am sad and I am... blue?
The rain bursts forth from clouds and face.
My tears burst forth as if in race.
The rainbow changes before my eyes, to carry color grand.
The radiance shines before me now, as if it all was planned.
The sky is black, the stars are white; the clouds are shades of gray.
I look upon the rainbow now and see its color display.

The water is blue, the fire is red, the sands are... is that brown?
The yellow sun, the purple plum, colors all around.
I see the sky, I see the stars, and I see the clouds.
Still they're black and white and gray, though not covered by a shroud.

I see the colors all around, but still there's black and white.
The shining angels that can fly, and ninjas like the night.
I add the colors to my show, and let them still be mine.
I use the black and use the white to let my colors shine.
As the ninja, I am once more, with my blood-red belt.
I still stick to the shadows, but with colors I'd never felt.
As the angel, I am once more, with my sea-blue sash.
I still soar high above the treetops, and no longer feel as ash.

On the ground I mix my colors and turn them all to black.
Indeed this is every color; there's not one it lacks.
In the light I mix my colors and turn them all to white.
Every color is certainly here, and it's quite a sight.
The sky is black, the stars are white; the clouds are shades of gray.
I look upon the rainbow now and see its color display.

No comments:

Post a Comment